Welcome to Saturday 9.
What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions
every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times
the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random
questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants
posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your
choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
Saturday 9: Some Gave All (1992)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.
Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served -- veterans and
active military -- as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your family,
worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them.
Memorial Day has its own flag etiquette. In the morning, the American flag should be flown at half staff in memory of those we have lost. Then, at noon, it should be raised briskly to full staff, in honor of all who have served. Where is the nearest flag flying from where you sit right now?
3) Since 1988, motorcycle riders have participated in Rolling Thunder. In events all over the country, including Washington DC, bikers "Roll Together" to draw attention to service members still missing and raise awareness of mental health issues our veterans cope with each day. When have you most recently ridden a motorcycle? A scooter? A bicycle?
4) This week's song is the title track of Billy Ray Cyrus' best-selling album. Named for this patriotic song, the album also included Billy Ray's signature song, "Achy Breaky Heart." "Achy Breaky Heart" is a popular choice on karaoke nights. Do you know it well enough to sing along?
5) Sandy Kane, the hero of "Some Gave All," is based on a real Vietnam vet Billy Ray Cyrus met and spoke to about his sacrifice for his country. Can you think of another song based on a real person?
6) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you packed away your winter clothes yet?
7) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling your room?
8) Memorial Day is also a holiday for retailers. Ads promise great prices on everything from grills to lawn decorations to high tech gear and gadgets. Will you be shopping any sales this weekend?
9) Random question: When is the last time you felt like a kid?
so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to
come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact
sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses,
you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We
haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of
Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!